SALT RIVER FIELDS AT TALKING STICK
SPRING TRAINING FACILITY
Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
Definition: Under general supervision of the Head Groundskeeper and Lead Groundskeeper, responsible for executing the field irrigation plan for the Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Spring Training Facility. Monitors sprinkler and irrigation systems and makes needed repairs to ensure system remains fully operational. Sets and maintains irrigation timers to correspond with established watering requirements. Perform general field maintenance for the facility as needed. This job class is treated as FLSA Non-Exempt.
Essential Functions: Essential functions may vary among positions and may include the following tasks and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not intended to be comprehensive list of tasks performed by all positions in this classification.
1. Irrigation System Monitoring & Operation: Monitors facility irrigation systems operation to ensure systems operate properly at all times.
- Sets and maintains automatic irrigation systems to ensure adequate watering for all ball fields, plants, trees and shrubs.
- Conducts regular checks of the irrigation systems for all assigned fields and immediately notifies supervisor of any problems encountered.
- Monitors and maintains system water usage, sprinkler timers and clocks, and reset as necessary to conform to established watering guidelines.
- Checks Cal-Sense water control system daily and makes adjustments as needed to maintain required water flow.
2. Irrigation System Maintenance & Repair: Performs maintenance and repair of the facility’s irrigation and sprinkler system.
- Installs, tests, maintains, and upgrades irrigation systems, backflow devices and other hardware associated with the systems.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, and replaces broken sprinkler heads and irrigation lines as needed.
- Inspects sprinklers regularly to ensure sufficient water is supplied to all turf areas
- Utilizes a soil probe to measure rootzone moisture levels to avoid over or under watering and to establish and maintain deep rooting of turf.
- Complies with OSHA safety standards and helps ensure staff compliance.
- Responds to “emergency” repair situations as needed.
3. General Facility Maintenance: Assists Maintenance Workers with the maintenance and upkeep of the fields as required by the Head Groundskeeper and Lead Groundskeeper.
- Prepares, maintains and restores playing fields, bullpens and pitching mounds in preparation for ball games.
- Assists with mowing, weeding, trimming, and maintaining ball field turf.
- Provides support for other facility activities and special events.
- Uses hand tools such as shovels, rakes and hedge and brush trimmers.
- Operates powered equipment such as mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles and sod cutters.
4. Miscellaneous: Performs other job related duties as assigned to enhance facility operation as required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
· Knowledge of the history, culture, laws, rules, customs and traditions of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community.
· Knowledge of irrigation system installation, maintenance and repair procedures and practices including equipment and materials used.
· Knowledge of irrigation system troubleshooting techniques.
· Knowledge of irrigation system operation requirements including programming timers for multiple stations.
· Knowledge of operation of irrigation system controllers and valves.
· Knowledge of watering requirements for growing warm and cool season grasses.
· Knowledge of state and federal safety requirements associated with the installation and maintenance of irrigation systems.
· Skill establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, management staff, and the general public.
· Skill following verbal and written instructions, procedures, blueprints, and diagrams.
· Skill operating a variety of equipment such as trenchers, backhoes, and various other equipment used in the installation of irrigation systems.
· Skill planning and organizing work assignments.
· Ability to respond to emergency repair calls at any time.
· Ability to repair, maintain and troubleshoot commercial irrigation systems.
· Ability to pick up and move objects weighing at least 50 pounds.
· Ability to verbally communicate at a level that ensures productivity and quality of work.
· Ability to bend or stoop repeatedly or continually.
· Ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays as required.
· Ability to walk or stand for long periods of time and work in extreme heat and harsh conditions.
· Education and Experience: Graduation from High School or GED equivalent and a minimum of two years of experience in the installation, repair, and operation of controlled irrigation systems.
- Pesticide Spray License from the State of Arizona required.
· Must have experience in professional baseball and/or golf course maintenance.
· Must have experience operating reel mowers, tractors, infield groomers, aerators and all other equipment associated with maintenance of high quality turf.
· Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of education and experience that will allow the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be considered.
· Special Requirements: Requires the ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Requires successful completion of a background check and drug screening.
- Must be able to perform physical labor in the accomplishment of assigned duties under extreme weather conditions.
- Requires ability to safety handle, dispense, and be exposed to hazardous chemicals such as pesticides, herbicides, and various other chemicals.
- Must be able to lift, carry and maneuver heavy objects and equipment associated with the work.
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods.
Please send resumes to Marshall Jennings at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 7555 N. Pima Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85258.